Tuesday, December 11, 2012

all i need.

it's ten-thirty-eight pm.
am currently putting off climbing into bed.
procrastinating with blogs. and good music.

my winter insomnia has hit.
which means that even the most tiring of mothering days finds my head hitting the pillow around eleven o'clock each night and still wide-eyed and awake come one or two.

i catch up on my shows. my faves these days involving burly old men living off the wilderness in alaska. or burly bearded men who make duck calls for a living.

then i'll toss and turn and fluff my pillows.
under the covers? nope.
on top of the covers? nope.
maybe a glass of milk? nope.
a book? nope.

then i'll give up.

i'll just lay there.
eyes blinking up at the ceiling.
and my mind wanders.
the racing thoughts keeping me up at night are so silly, too.

eventually i'll feel a kiss on my forehead.
andrey leaving for work. it usually wakes me.
which means that somehow sleep does actually find me.

this until spring...
where my best and most delicious sleep hangs out.


6 comments:

  1. the same thing has happened to me this year! I'm so tired but suddenly at night, when I can sleep, my body won't let me. I became such a zombie that I broke down and bought some unisom. It has helped tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. zombie is right! does the unisom make you extra sleepy the next day?

      Delete
  2. Last year you posted that great list and letter to start the new year. I sent it to my daughter who is a teacher, her 6th graders loved it. Now she has 5th grade and now it is another year and I was unable to change the date on the pdf. Will you be doing another? Will you assist me in changing the date? It is such a lovely tradition she is starting with these kids.....Thank-you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know which is better that or feeling so incredibly tired that I go to bed with the kids. Oh well I guess it all affects us different:)

    ReplyDelete